Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Minor League




I was in a pretty good mood when I walked into She’s Out of My league. When I walked out, well…

Jay Buchental stars as Kirk, an awkward, out of shape Pittsburgh airport TSA agent, which, for some reason is a worse job than shoveling shit at the circus. He is pursued by Molly, played by Alice Eve*, a wealthy party planner with a law degree…who is a lot more attractive in her underwear than Kirk is.

It’s a Rom/Com. Boy meets girl, boy gets girl, boy looses girl, boy gets girl back. There is a pretty basic formula for romantic comedies; we all know what is going to happen.

Question: Why do Romantic Comedies keep Hollywood afloat along with Horror movies?

Answer: It’s the characters. It’s how the paint by numbers plot is colored and manipulated that separates a good movie from a bad one.

It’s fair to say they colored inside the lines here, with a very small, bland palate in mind.

Hailed as the “ the funniest movie since The Hangover” and clearly trying to be a “Knocked up and There’s Something about Mary” hybrid, She’s Out of My League manages to be worlds apart from any of those three, and the comparison is an insult of epic proportions. Although they tried and tried, I don’t think I laughed for the first 15 minutes of the movie, it was actually kind of sad.

She’s Out of My League misses the mark by so much, I began to take it personally...I just spent $12 to laugh and someone didn't even care to realize they didn't even have much of a story, let alone a funny one. You’re smart…you'll feel the same way. This movie doesn’t make much sense; it’s unintentionally unintelligent and boring, so much in fact I was almost confused. Why is the weather in Pittsburgh so awesome during Hockey season? Why are these two meant to be together? Why are the obstacles keeping them apart so…weak? Why, why, why…. bother.

There were a few laughs, a couple smiles, but in the end this was just a poor attempt at both Romance and Comedy.

My Vote: If you need to see a loser get the girl, you can do a lot better….see above.

Kyle Retter - I Hate Movie Reviews

*As far as I can tell, Alice Eve is her real name and no, she is not an adult film star, if she was….nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment