Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You've seen it before but you'll like seeing it again...

Horror flicks, coming of age flicks, and the romantic comedy are my favorite genres in cinema. They are predictable, cheesy, campy, and sometimes really poorly made but when done right they are always fun. 

The Proposal stars Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds as a couple that was never meant to fall in love but do, a very predictable premise indeed. Margaret (Bullock) is an uptight “witch” of a boss at a huge publishing company in New York. Andrew, (Reynolds) her hard working and under appreciated assistant is looking to move up in the publishing world. As luck would have it, Margaret is Canadian with an expired Visa who is going to lose her job and citizenship until she comes up with a proposal, one that forces this "odd couple" into an unusual situation, a fake marriage. To one extent or another this movie has been made before so I wasn’t expecting to be very entertained.

I was surprised, however, to find myself engaged in the movie right off the bat. I have seen more romantic comedies than any other genre and while there was nothing new or original about this one Bullock and Reynolds made a great pair and saved this movie from its lackluster plot. Kudos also goes to Anne Fletcher (27 Dresses), the director, for not shoving the romance down our throats but for letting it develop subtly and more organically than I have seen in the past (singing Rob Bases’ “it takes two” is a well played out scene).

I got some good laughs and walked out of the theatre with a smile on my face. While the final showdown is certainly one of the most over used and unoriginal final scene in movie history I can look past it because of the work that lead up to it. The beautiful Alaskan landscape and Betty Whites’ fun performance help make this movie better than average.

My Vote: A great date movie. Also, check out It happened one night and my review below.

No comments:

Post a Comment